About Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, who is Certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery, has served as Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at Deaconess Waltham Hospital for the last 25 years. Dr. Davidson has qualified for and received the Certificate of Advanced Training in Cosmetic Surgery from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
By limiting his practice to cosmetic or aesthetic surgery, Dr. Davidson is able to offer you the highest level of expertise plus the experience of helping thousands of people just like you over a period of more than thirty years.
Gynecomastia is a condition in which excess breast tissue is present in boys or men. It comes from the Greek word meaning women's breast ( female breasts). Gynecomastia occurring in teen aged boys is often a temporary problem which improves spontaneously. In others, this condition persists into or occurs during adult life. Many males having this condition request surgical correction. Prior to 1990, this usually required excising the excess tissue through a half circle incision at the lower edge of the areola ( the pink or brown skin around the nipple ).
The most typical history provided by patients is that excess breast tissue was first noticed shortly after puberty, between the ages of 11 and 14. In some cases, this condition was noted several years prior to puberty.
Gynecomastia may occur later in life and, in some cases, can be attributed to certain medications, including estrogen derivatives taken for treatment of prostate cancers. Body Builders who have taken anabolic steroids may also develop Gynecomastia.
There is more than one technique available to treat gynecomastia. The traditional technique (excision) requires an incision (and scar) along the lower edge of the areola (although this usually heals well). The disadvantages of excision include a higher risk of a depression or dent in the overlying skin surface (saucer deformity) and a larger scar.
Dr. Davidson is well known in the scientific community for his original contributions in the treatment of gynecomastia, especially for a method of removing excess skin (when necessary) with minimal scars.
Dr. Davidson is a contributor to the medical textbook, The Breast, An Atlas of Reconstruction by Williams and Wilkins, 1984. He authored part of the gynecomastia chapter.
View Dr. Davidson's Gynecomastia photos
- American Board of Plastic Surgery, 1973
- American Board of Surgery, 1970
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency: Internship: New England Medical Center, Boston
- General Surgery: New England Medical Center and Boston City Hospital
- Plastic Surgery: Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons- Fellow
- New England Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons
- Massachusetts Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Northeastern Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- American Society of Laser Surgery
- Lipoplasty Society of North America
- American Medical Association
- Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Dr. Davidson is Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at Deaconess Waltham Hospital.
- Dr. Davidson holds the certificate of Advanced Training in Cosmetic Surgery from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
"Dr. Davidson and Staff,
I wanted to let you know how very impressed I am after my consultation yesterday with all of you. It was such a different experience than prior consultations. Your professionalism, care, and education are truly exceptional.
I just booked my surgery for October 15th with you and canceled my prior commitment to another surgeon. I know the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that "little extra" and I believe when people truly give it that it should be recognized. Thanks also Dr. Davidson for your kindness."
Dear Dr. Davidson and Staff,
I want to thank you for your wonderful attitude and very professional manner.
My June 3rd operation has made an incredible impact on my life, and I'm not sure I can ever thank you enough. You are all my "Miracle Dream Team", and you all have my greatest admiration.
I just wanted to say thanks for being such a genius! I look FABULOUS! There has even been more improvement since you saw me last. Please say thanks to all of your staff too. Everyone has been so helpful and friendly.
Dear Dr. Davidson,
I was excited to see your web page mainly because I am the first photo on your home page. Wow, I love it. Since that day of my surgery my life has changed in a way that not many people can understand. It is not about my looks changing but about my self-confidence and attitude. I hope that others considering this kind of surgery can benefit from my experience. Please feel free to contact me if you have prospective clients that would like to talk. I would love to share my wonderful experience with them. Thank you again.
This logo identifies members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
This symbol identifies members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.